[Coral-List] Re: Foram for Bleaching Project

Martin Pêcheux martin-pecheux at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jul 3 07:51:03 EDT 2004

Dear Kevan, Coral-lister,

Every one focus on corals and Symbiodinum for bleaching, which is normal

given the view. But there are many other organisms which are bleaching,
other cnidarians, Tridacna, sponges some of which with cyanobacterial
symbionts, large foraminifers with diatoms,perhaps with chlorophytes,
and probably ascidians with Prochloron sp.. A study of bleaching in
those other symbioses are urgently needed to know what is fundamental in

the process.

Large foraminifers (about 1 mm) are very easy to collect, manipulate and

culture in a Petri dish, in great number in a few grams. You may ask
Pamela Hallock and her team in Florida (I didn't ask her before sending
this email) to send you a thermos full of those pretty Amphistegina
(pmuller at seas.marine.usf.edu). Otherwise tell me. Very easy to have many

replicates and, above all for you, very cheap.

Good work,

Martin Pêcheux, Scientific Consultant
Large Foraminifer Institute, 3, allée des Elfes, 94260 Fresnes, FRANCE
+33 1 42 37 41 96
martin-pecheux at wanadoo.fr

le 15/06/04 23:53, Kevan Christensen à kevan_christensen at yahoo.com a