[Coral-List] Re: Foram for Bleaching Project

TDWYATT at aol.com TDWYATT at aol.com
Sun Jul 4 12:06:24 EDT 2004

Kevin,

You may want to consider using an easy-to-culture stony coral that
demonstrates rapid growth in aquaria like Montipora digitata.  Many cheap or free
sources of this easy-to-grow and propagate-by-fragmentation coral are available in
the aquarium hobby (often considered a "weed" coral).  These will ship well
when properly packaged and sent via overnight or airport-to-airport shipping.
Email me directly if you need more info.

If you need a repeatable bleaching trigger for your evaluation, most captive
corals will bleach within a few days if the ambient water temp stays above 85
to 88 degrees F with all other water column parameters being constant.

As for the -HCO3 issue, you may want to check the article by TA
MacConnahaughy around 97 in Earth Sciences Review, title is something like "Calcification
generates protons for nutrient capture."  The article deals with a multitude of
mechanisms for calcification as a means of capturing inorganic carbon rather
than being solely a protective or structural development in terms of evolution
of corals in an oligotropic niche.  I prolly have a copy of the article here
if finding it is a problem, but most decent univ. libraries will have copies
of ESR.

hth,  Tom Wyatt