[Coral-List] using tank reared corals for experiments

shashank Keshavmurthy iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 13:15:33 EDT 2004

Hi all!!
Here I am again with one of my questions. It again is very simple and may be basic but I need to know...................

My question is about artificially reared corals which may be available in large numbers in future for all our coral related research.
Will they not be a kind of too ideal specimens for the experiments? I mean when we do our experiments with corals sampled form natural environments we have to remember that the coral not just have symbiosis with zooxanthellae but also with numerous other microscopic and macroscopic creatures which may be necessary for the normal coral behaviour and life.
Now if one considers artificially reared corals, most of these associations are being phased out.
Will it have an effect on our ultimate understanding on the coral behaviour as a result of coral interaction change?
Because all our experiments is not just to crack disease and other problems but also to understand the coral ecology and biology so that we can try and make better place for their continuous survival.

I hope Eric can answer my question.  We had a nice discussion in Okinawa and also it he gave an interesting talk about aquarium corals and their possible use which is responsible for the genesis of this question.

Cheers!!!
shashank

"the role of infinitely small in nature is infinitely large"-Louis Pasteur

Keshavmurthy Shashank
Kochi University, Faculty of Agriculture
Lab. of AQUa. Environ. Sci. (LAQUES)
Otsu 200, Monobe, Nankoku-shi
783-8502, Kochi, Japan
alt. id: shashank at cc.kochi-u.ac.jp