[Coral-List] HadISST 1.1 data: Bleaching is not due to Warming

Dr. Robert Murray coral at coes.org.uk
Thu Jun 3 07:09:55 EDT 2004

I haven't read the 'long version' but the statement below does not on its own sound like evidence to me. One possible explanation is that today, with so many chronic stresses afflicting reefs simultaneously, corals are more susceptible to heat stress and are capable of bleaching at lower temperatures than decades ago.

"I determine for the studied sites the relevant parameter
for bleaching ÆT, i.e. the minimum temperature at which bleaching has
occurred, minus the maximum temperature at which bleaching was absent during
the 1950-1978¹s. In fact, only 16% of the sites have positive ÆT : there was
generally higher temperature in 1950-1978 without bleaching than now with
bleaching eliciting."

Robert Murray, PhD
+44 (0)771 9448169

coral at coes.org.uk