[Coral-List] Climate change

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Wed Jun 9 07:31:00 EDT 2004

Hi John.

I agree with your point. Many of the descriptions of reef "degradation"
could better be termed reef "setbacks".

Perhaps I might shed some light on the use of the term "canaries of the
sea." I wish I'd said it first, but I didn't. To the best of my
knowledge, this was first coined by Walt Jaap, in the early 80's. This
was long before general concern about bleaching-Walt was referring to
all those other pressures that have driven reefs to their present
state.

I think it's well past time for an objective analysis of the past and
present ranking of threats to the world's reefs-not a survey, as that
will simply be driven by those with research agendas.