[Coral-List] ReefBase Shelf Depths

Jamie Oliver j.oliver at cgiar.org
Thu Jun 17 22:03:56 EDT 2004

Dear Oliver and coral-listers

The continental shelf depth is defined as "up to 200 m depth". When viewing
any of the statistics in ReefBase, you can click on the values to see the
datasource. In case of continental shelves:

"Data on continental shelf areas were largely taken from: Pilot Analysis of
Global Ecosystems (PAGE) by the World Resources Institute (WRI)(see:
http://www.wri.org/wr2000/coast_page.html). For some countries, data were
taken from Fishery Country Profile reports produced by FAO (see:
http://www.fao.org/fi/fcp/fcp.asp)."

Please see these datasources for further details if needed.

We do read email queries and respond to them as soon as possible, although
occasionally, if things are hectic, the delay is longer than we would
prefer.

Best Wishes

Jamie Oliver 		   & 	Marco Noordeloos
ReefBase Project Leader		ReefBase Manager

Jamie Oliver
Senior Scientist (Coral Reef Projects)
The WorldFish Center
PO Box 500, GPO, 10670 Penang Malaysia
Street address: Jalan Batu Maung, 11960 Bayan Lepas, Penang, Malaysia
Ph: 60 4 626 1606
Fax: 60 4 626 5530
email: J.Oliver at cgiar.org
Visit the ReefBase website at www.reefbase.org