[Coral-List] Coral Tissue Slide Reading Workshop

McCarty and Peters McCarty_and_Peters at compuserve.com
Sat Mar 6 15:45:45 EST 2004

Dr. Esther Peters will offer a Coral Tissue Slide Reading Workshop this
summer at Mote Marine Laboratory's Tropical Research Laboratory (TRL),
Summerland Key, Florida.

One workshop will be held July 19-21.  Students taking the course "Diseases
of Corals and Other Reef Organisms" at the lab July 10-18 will be accepted
first into this session (up to 5 participants).

Others who wish to participate in the workshop at Summerland Key will be
accommodated in the July 19-21 session, or, if there is sufficient
interest, another session might be held at Summerland Key July 22-24.

It is likely a workshop will be held in the Washington, DC, area sometime
in the fall.  Please let Dr. Peters know if you would prefer to attend that
session.

Another option being developed is a course on histotechniques and histology
of Anthozoa, to be held in Hawaii in late August 2004.  This will soon be
announced on these list-serves, so stay tuned.

For the Summerland Key Workshop(s):

Cost will be $460 for professionals and $320 for students (includes
instructor fee and materials).  Rooms will be available at TRL for an
additional $32 per night plus 11.5% taxes ($107.04; arrive Sunday, depart
Wednesday afternoon).  The participant is responsible for paying for all
meals and travel expenses to/from TRL. (Meals could run $20-$30 per day;
taxi from Key West to Summerland Key is approximately $65, although we'll
try to arrange pickup from the Key West Airport; Miami is approximately 140
miles away and you'll have to arrange your own transportation from that
airport to Summerland Key).

If you would like to reserve a space in one of the 2004 Coral Tissue Slide
Reading Workshops, please copy the following into a new e-mail message,
provide the requested information, and send it to Esther Peters at

        mccarty_and_peters at compuserve.com

Registration fee of $50 (applied to the cost of the workshop) will be due
after you are notified of your acceptance.

(1) Name:

(2) Affiliation:

(3) Address:

(4) City:

(5) State:

(6) Country:

(7) Zip Code or Postal Code:

Please provide:

(8)  Students - Current field of study and degree in progress:

     Nonstudents - Highest degree attained and subject:

(9) Research topic or research interests:

(10) Why do you want to take this workshop?

Please mark an "X" after the following statements, if the answer is "yes":

(11) I have studied or have experience in coral reef ecology:

(12) I have taken a course in histology and/or histotechnique:

(13) I have taken a course in electron microscopy:

(14) I am planning to attend the course "Diseases of Corals and Other Reef
Organisms" July 10-18 at TRL: