[Coral-List] Preparing thick sections of sponges for light microscopy

Loh Tse-Lynn tmslohtl at nus.edu.sg
Wed Mar 10 02:25:57 EST 2004

Dear listers,

I'm currently working on identifying sponges from the coral reefs of
Singapore and would like to ask about the usual protocols for preparing
thick tissue sections of sponges for use in light microscopy. If
possible, a protocol involving Histoclear as we are working on a tight
budget and I would like to use available resources whenever possible.
Presently, the sponges are preserved in 90% ethanol, which they were
placed in directly after harvesting.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Tse-Lynn Loh
Research Assistant
Tropical Marine Science Institute