[Coral-List] photo of large anchor(chain) damage

John Ware jware at erols.com
Tue Mar 16 12:22:12 EST 2004

Dear List:

Me too.  As long as we are asking for things, I would like to have images of
coral-reef damage due to destructive fishing practices such as muro-ami
(sp?) fishing, blast fishing, or chain dragging (practice prior to
netting).  I use images such as these in public presentations.

John Ware

Paul Hoetjes wrote:

> Dear Coral List members,
>
> For a presentation I am looking for (a) photo(s) documenting bottom
> damage caused by the large anchors of tankers or other large vessels and
> their long heavy chains, as such ships swing around on their anchors and
> the heavy chain plows through the bottom in a semi-circle. Even on sandy
> or rubble bottom, this kind of damage will over time completely destroy
> the fisheries in such areas, not to mention coral reef areas. Not only
> will any structural complexity be destroyed, but the constant tearing up
> of even sandy bottoms will destroy the algal flora established on such
> bottoms (and anything else growing there such as sea grass or
> gorgonians) and put an end to its being used by algae grazing conch as a
> feeding ground.
>
> I'm hoping someone has a (digital) picture of such damage on a rubble or
> sand bottom, that I might use.
>
> Best regards,
> Paul Hoetjes
>
> --
> Paul C. Hoetjes
> Senior Policy Advisor
> Department of Environment & Nature Conservation (MINA)
> Ministry of Public Health & Social Development
> Santa Rosaweg 122, Curaçao
> Netherlands Antilles
> tel. +(599-9)736-3530; fax: +(599-9)736-3505

     *                       John R. Ware, PhD                   *
     *                          President                        *
     *                       SeaServices, Inc.                   *
     *                    19572 Club House Road                  *
     *              Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA           *
     *                        301 987-8507                       *
     *                       jware at erols.com                     *
     *                  http://www.seaservices.org               *
     *                      fax: 301 987-8531                    *
     *     |\/__ Undersea Technology for the 21st Century \      *