[Coral-List] Licking corals - akin to licking toads?

Brostoff, William ERDC-EL-MS William.Brostoff at erdc.usace.army.mil
Thu Nov 4 09:07:53 EST 2004

While on a recent trip to Australia, I ran into a diver who licked corals
for their unusual effect.  She said that "green" corals were the best, but
that she first tested them to assure there was no severe effect by touching
her finger, then her wrist, to the coral.  While it is moot whether this is
more harmful to the coral or person doing the licking (I did not try this
myself), I am curious how widespread this is...

William N. Brostoff, Ph.D.
Wetlands and Coastal Ecology Branch
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Engineer Research and Development Center
attn.: CEERD-EE-W
3909 Halls Ferry Rd.
Vicksburg, MS 39180