[Coral-List] Re:Coral bleaching/fish collecting

Martin Pêcheux martin-pecheux at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 10 05:53:27 EST 2004

Dear Ribanataake,

I do not know much about the question, but this is extract from the
chemical inhibitor chapter in my 1997 "Review on coral reef mass bleaching"
(accepted by Atoll Res Bull, 214p. see link below):
Jaap and Wheaton (1975) provoked bleaching of corals within hours and
within months by application of the fish-collecting chemicals quinaldine
and rotenone.
in refs:JAAP, W. C., and WHEATON, J., 1975. Observations on Florida reef
corals treated with fish-collecting chemicals. Fla. Mar. Res. Publ., 10,
1-17.   *Some BL at short (40 min, A. cervicornis, Gorgonia ventalina) and
long-term (3 months) with quinaldine and a rotenone derivative (A. palmata,
Agaricia agaricites, S. sidera, D. stigosa, Dichocoenia stokesi).

About depth of bleaching, it is generally shallow, but sometime at reverse,
downto 100 m depth

Cheers,

Dr. Martin Pêcheux, Scientific Consultant/IPCCLarge Foraminifer Institute
3, allée des Elfes, 94260 Fresnes, France
Phone: +33 1 4237 4196
martin-pecheux at wanadoo.fr
Publications at  www.reefbase.org/* , Author=Pecheux (without ^)

"Ribanataake T. Awira" a *crit :