[Coral-List] New Worldwide Coral Reef Landsat Archive Created

Curtis Kruer kruer at 3rivers.net
Tue Nov 16 19:18:16 EST 2004

Dear Coral-List,

I also looked into the NASA coral reef site
(http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Reefs/) and was suprised at the effort being
made by this part of the U.S. Government but also noted at one Partner's
link (http://imars.marine.usf.edu/corals/index.html) the following
self-congratulatory statement regarding their part of NASA's effort:

"....to provide an exhaustive worldwide inventory of coral reefs using
high-resolution satellite imagery by the summer of 2004."

Quite a statement.  I find these types of claims equally as risky as
they may tend to make people believe that coral reef ecosystems have
been adequately mapped and inventoried and it's time to move on.  IF
changes are to be made to the characterizations in NASA's (and it's
Partners) otherwise excellent Coral Reef web sites I would suggest
modifying that claim as well - unless the Univ. of South Florida can
prove me wrong.

Thanks.

Curtis Kruer