[Coral-List] (no subject)

Carmen Schloeder carmen_schloeder at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 14:05:26 EDT 2004

Hi Gemma,

there's a lot of reserach going on in terms of of nutrient enrichment on
corals. In general, increases in zooxanthellae density and chlorophyll
concentrations are observed, when nitrate is added to reef-building corals.
In the ENCORE, they observed mortality and reduced growth of corals at a
nitrate dosage of 36 uM, and coral reproduction was negatively affected. In
our study, P. damicornis subjected to nitrate (20 uM) showed bleaching due
to the loss of zooxanthellae.

You might also check the following literature for further details:

Schloeder C., D'Croz L., 2004. Responses of massive and branching coral
species to the combined effects of water temperature and nitrate enrichment.
J Exp Mar Biol Ecol, in press.

Mate J.L., 1997. Experimental responses of Panamenian reef corals to high
temperature and nutrients. Proc 8th Int Coral Reef Symp 1:515-520

Koop et al., 2001. ENCORE: the effectof nutrient enrichment on coral reefs.
Synthesis of results and conclusions. Mar Poll Bull 42(2):91-120

Nordemar et al., 2003. Effects of elevated seawater temperature and nitrate
enrichment on the branching coral Porites cylindrica in the absence of
particulate food. Mar Biol 142:669-677

Jokiel et al., 1991. Results of the 1991 United States-Israel Workshop,
”Nutrient limitation in the symbiotic association between zooxanthellae and
reef-building corals”. Pac Sci 48(3):215-218

Cheers
Carmen