[Coral-List] Coral Calcium

Eric Borneman eborneman at uh.edu
Thu Sep 2 10:22:32 EDT 2004

You might also want to mention that numerous studies discuss the uptake
of other trace  metals (Ca substitutes like strontium), and I know of
numerous papers (authors present on the list?) that discuss uptake of
uranium and radium into coral skeletons, or cadmium, nickel, etc.
Additionally, other materials are routinely part of coral skeletons,
besides calcium.  Organisms also bore into and grow in coral
skeleton...worms, fungi, etc.

One might want to use this sort of "spin" to get help stop the coral
calcium trade by making it sound as if those who take it are
potentially ingesting toxic, radioactive worm and fungus filled
material.  That ought to stop some people who buy the "hype"

Best,

Eric Borneman
Department of Biology
University of Houston