[Coral-List] RE: damselfish tagging (Mati)

Peter McDougall petermcdougall at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 2 15:57:29 EDT 2004

Dear Mati,

Northwest Marine Technologies use a fluorescent elastomer (a couple of
colours: orange, yellow, red, etc) that is injectable under the scales of
fish. Very easy to use and low mortality rate.

Frederick J. L. (1997) Evaluation of fluorescent elastomer injection as a
method for marking small fish. Bull. Mar. Sci. 61: 399-408

Frederick J. L. (1997) Post-settlement movement of coral reef fishes and
bias in survival estimates. Bull. Mar. Sci. 150: 65-74

I used it on Stegastes diencaeus (small pomacentrid with very dark pigment
in the adults colour phase) and so needed to inject it just under the
scales. In lighter pigmented damselfish, however, I have heard that the
subdermal injection is quite visible. To boot, it is very affordable. A
trial pack was enough elastomer to tag over 150 fish, and we had a lot left
over.

Happy tagging!

Peter McDougall
MSc McGill University

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
first two months FREE*.