[Coral-List] Brooding Coral Taxonomy

Ian Lundgren ianlundgren at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:12:37 EDT 2004

Hiyya,

I'm trying to build a list of brooding corals species on Guam in order
to isolate the identity of coral recruits from settlement plates
during non-spawning months. Also to maximize effort in settling out
species in aquaria in order to build a reference library of coral
recruit morphology... or at least as much as possible (as per Babcock,
et al 2003).

However, the suggested best reference for this information seems to be:

1997. Life and death of coral reefs / Charles Birkeland, editor.
Chapter 8, by Robert Richmond: Reproduction and Recruitment in Corals.

In Table 8.1 0f this publication Richmond states that the folowing
species are brooding corals on Guam:
Acropora corymbosa
Acropora palauensis
Galaxea aspera
Goniopora queenslandia

I suspect that taxonomic reorganization has renderred these species
names outdated, therefore no record of them exists on the resources
available today. Neither can I find a record of taxonomic
reclassification.

Does anyone know what happened to these corals?

ian

ianlundgren at gmail.com