[Coral-List] Brooding Coral Taxonomy

Robert W. Buddemeier buddrw at kgs.ku.edu
Tue Sep 28 12:24:17 EDT 2004

I'm replying to the list, since I think the answer may be of interest to
others as well as Ian.

One of the 'resources available today' is the website "Hexacorallians of
the World" (http://hercules.kgs.ku.edu/hexacoral/anemone2/index.cfm).
If you do a taxonomic search there you will find both A. corymbosa and
G. aspera.

The absence of the other two names is not conclusive, since
"Hexacorallians" is essentially 100 % complete only for the Actiniaria;
we are still expanding and refining the scleractinian coverage.  Also,
it should be noted that "literature cited" listings are limited to the
taxonomic literature in which species are described or redescribed; it
does not cover the myriad publications on ecology, physiology, etc. etc.

Still, a little new information is probably better than none.

Bob Buddemeier