[Coral-List] Underwater photographer for subtidal reefs

Jaap, Walt Walt.Jaap at MyFWC.com
Wed Apr 20 07:55:33 EDT 2005

Taking high quality photographs in murky water is difficult and challenging.  It is possible to capture images of sessile animals, plants, and bottom-type; however it is very difficult to capture fast-moving animals such as fish, otters, seals, and sea lions.  One can employ digital cameras and use filters and low power strobes to obtain acceptable images; it is a trial and error process.  If we know the venue, we can suggest individuals in the area that could get it done.

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
[mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov]On Behalf Of Alissa
Barron
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:05 AM
To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: [Coral-List] Underwater photographer for subtidal reefs

This request from The Nature Conservancy came to my attention recently.
Please respond directly to Jeff BeBlieu at TNC if you are aware of a
photographer who could meet their needs.

--Original email--
Can anyone suggest someone who is skilled and has the proper equipment to
take underwater photographs in low visibility conditions (visibility of two
to four feet)?

The Nature Conservancy is working to restore subtidal reefs in Pamlico Sound
and they need images of these reefs. Unfortunately visibility tends to be
very limited so they need a photographer with special skills.

Please contact Jeff BeBlieu. Contact information below.

Jeffrey Smith DeBlieu
jdeblieu at tnc.org
The Nature Conservancy
Outer Banks Office