[Coral-List] Aiptasia and diatoms

Randa N. Flinn randa.flinn at browardschools.com
Tue Apr 26 07:23:57 EDT 2005

Dear Bethan,

I used Aiptasia sp. and never had a problem with diatoms because of I
think 2 things:  I filtered my seawater using Millipore fiberglass filters
in a Gelman apparatus- filter size .22 mm, and I kept them in petri dishes
rather than aquaria, changing their water completely every other day.  I
also hatched the brine shrimp in filtered seawater (to feed the anemones
the nauplii) so as to keep diatoms and other critters out.  Hope this
helps!

Randa Flinn
AP Biology Teacher
Northeast High School
700 NE 56 Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL  33334
754-322-1550
EMAIL:  Randa.Flinn at Browardschools.com