[Coral-List] help identifiying an organism

Roi Holzman roi at pob.huji.ac.il
Wed Aug 3 05:01:33 EDT 2005

During a recent night dive in the coral reef of Eilat, Israel, we have
seen a large "worm" that I have never seen before and have failed, so
far, to identify. it was quite long (I estimate ~1m), with a diameter of
~ 5mm. as far as I could tell, the full length of the organism was
exposed, i.e. it was not a part of something hiding under a rock. I
would appreciate if you could take a moment to look at the pictures at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/412234680XMFGpU
the coral in the pictures is about 7cm across. the organism was very
sticky, and when we touched it with a piece of plastic, it was hardly
possible to separate it. It was observed in a degrading state (probably
dead) the next night at the same place (it was then collected and
preserved).
thanks in advance
Roi

--

Roi Holzman
roi at pob.huji.ac.il
InterUniversity institute for marine science of Eilat
PO box 469, Eilat,88103, Israel
Phone: 972-8-6360129
fax: 972-8-6374329