[Coral-List] Re: [C-L] Toxins/Parrot Fish deaths

Martin Pêcheux martin.pecheux at free.fr
Thu Aug 25 11:09:57 EDT 2005

Just a precision.

Harmful algae bloom of dinoflagellate do not produce palytoxins, but maitotoxin (ciguatera), brevetoxin (Shellfish P, by ex-Gymnodinium as Symbiodinium, somewhat distant), saxitoxin (Paralytic). They block
or open Na+ channels (four-domains six-trans-membrane clsse, in the family with Ca+ and K+ voltage depedant, those of our muscle and brain). Some diatoms and cyano produce other ones. See at:

 www.bigelow.org/hab/toxin.html  and up
and more general  www.whoi.edu/redtide/index.html

Ah, ah, would Symbiodinium uses that during bleaching ? Low chance, a jellyfish is insensitive to tetrodotoxin and saxitoxin (at >10e-5), but....I didn't find somebody for analysis
Increasing Red Tide let one thick also on bleaching.Those one, CO2 lovers ?

Happy holliday end,

-- Dr. Martin Pêcheux (IPCC Expert)
Institut des Foraminifères Symbiotiques
(Laboratoire de Biogéochimie et Chimie Marines, Jussieu, Université Paris VI)
16, rue de la Fontaine de l'Espérance, 92160 Antony, France
martin.pecheux at free.fr
+33(0) 8711 804 32
Publications at  www.reefbase.org in which Review on Reef Bleaching, 214p.

XX % REDUCTION OF HUMAN CO2 SOURCES IN YEAR 20XX

   4567....Age ofSolar System in million years (+/-0.6, some say 0.7, Science, 2002, 297, 1678-1683, Nature, 2004, 431, 275-278)
3x4567....Age of Universe (13.7Gy+/- 0.2, WAMP data + model)

askews a *crit :