[Coral-List] re: melissa keys

Christopher Paul Jury jurychri at msu.edu
Wed Dec 7 00:11:36 EST 2005

See these studies:

Hoegh-Guldberg et al. 2005. Coral bleaching following wintry weather. Limnol
Oceanogr 50(1): 265-271.

Saxby et al. 2003. Photosynthetic responses of the coral Montipora digitata
to cold temperature stress. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 248: 85-97.

There are others, but I had those handy. I doubt it will get cold enough to
cause bleaching, especially if it stays above 18 (which it most likely will
in most areas). I don't think one will see bleaching due to cold except in
very unusual circumstances (e.g. low tide and cold air, prolonged, unusual
upwelling). Someone else may know better than I, but the acroporids are
likely going to be the least cold-hardy whereas Porites is probably amongst
the most.

Best,

Chris Jury