[Coral-List] On job seekers and other list uses

Felix Martinez Felix.Martinez at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 9 14:57:59 EST 2005

I agree with Jim's initial assessment that the list is not the proper
venue for job seeking.  There are plenty of job lists and websites that
can be visited when one is seeking a position whether permanent or
temporary.

A more fundamental question is what are proper uses for a listserve.  It
is my impression that listserves have become an outlet for the
unmotivated.  We see all to frequently postings asking for information
or references on a subject that could have easily been found by using
any of the commonly available literature search engines or even Google!

Listserves such as Coral-list are best suited for:
- the exchange of, and request for, information that is not easily
available (e.g., books and articles that are rare or no longer in print,
unpublished data on a specific topic, etc.)
- the exchange of timely information (e.g., upcoming workshops and
conferences, unusual or important events in the field, etc.
- the exchange of ideas (e.g., discussion of novel topics, hypothesis, etc.)
- timely recruitment (i.e., potential employers posting vacant positions
that need to be filled quickly)

I am sure there are others but the basic point is that lists are best
for things that are hard to find, that are of a timely fashion, and for
the free and easier exchange (i.e., discussion) of ideas.

Finally, why should we be considerate when we post things?  Because it
does take time to moderate a listserve and typically moderators do not
do this as their "paid" job.  They do it out of their own interest and
love for the topic of the listserve.

Felix

--
Felix A. Martinez, Ph.D.
Silver Spring, MD 20910  	email: felix.martinez at noaa.gov

Note: The content of this message does not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or of NOAA unless otherwise specified.  The information therein is only for the use of the individuals or entities for which it was intended even if addressed incorrectly.  If not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate, or distribute the message or its content unless otherwise authorized.