[Coral-List] Contents of CITES attachment

Jessica Carilli jcarilli at ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 19 12:10:39 EST 2005

Since the attachment didn't work, the document is pasted below; I hope it is helpful!
-Jessica C

Information regarding importing CITES appendix-II listed organisms to the US, i.e. Corals

As of December 15, 2005

For CITES appendix II listed species, the US doesn't require import permits.  NOTE: The US does require import permits for appendix I species, and some other countries DO require import permits for appendix II as well.   The US does, however, require that you declare your specimens to customs and make an appointment with the US Fish and Wildlife Service to inspect them.

Paperwork Requirements:

>From the country where you are collecting specimens:

Collection permit

CITES export permit

Any other permits required by the country

>From the US:

Form 3-177, Declaration for importation of wildlife, which can be found at http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/faqs.htm

Inspection Requirements:

In the country where you are collecting specimens:

Collection permit may include requirement for sample inspection before exporting, to make sure you have only collected what you were permitted to collect.

In the US:

Specimens must be declared to customs officials and inspected by US Fish and Wildlife Service inspectors.  If you arrive at a designated port of entry (see http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Contact_Info_Ports.htm), call the local branch and inform them of your arrival.  If you arrive during working hours, they will meet you at the airport to inspect your items.  If you arrive at a different time, you will schedule an appointment to have your items inspected the next business day.

If you are clearing customs at a non-designated port, but are continuing on to a designated port, you can schedule an appointment with the inspector at the designated port, and tell the customs officials in the first port that you will have your articles inspected by this other person.  It will help to have that inspector's name and phone number, and extra copies of all paperwork to leave with the customs officials.

If you are clearing customs at a non-designated port, which is your final destination, you may be able to get an exemption.  I didn't look into this because it doesn't apply to me, so the best thing would be to call one of the USFWS offices (phone numbers can be found on page with list of designated ports) and ask them the rules.  They are very helpful.