[Coral-List] NH4 Levels in Aquaria

D'Elia, Christopher F. cdelia at spadmin.usf.edu
Thu Dec 29 10:05:23 EST 2005

Steve, Angus, and others-

I agree - these are very high levels of ammonia (~1.4 mM), and it suggests that denitrification needs to be enhanced in the aquarium.  Note that in his book Aquarium Corals, Eric Borneman recommends that "ammonia levels should remain effectively undetectable or near zero parts per million (ppm)."  In case you are not aware of it, his book is a scientifically based treatise on maintaining corals in aquaria, but is written with a lay audience in mind.  It has superb pictures and illustrations.  I recommend it highly.

Chris D'Elia