[Coral-List] RE: Voluntary MPA literature (to Cheryl Chen)

julie ekstrom jaekstrom at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:10:19 EST 2005

Hi Cheryl,
Check out the voluntary MPA in San Juan County. It's Bottomfish Recovery
Zones and is considered MPAs. From what I understand there is NO official
gov't enforcement at all. According to MPA News, it's very successful using
the community support to get compliance. Here's some references (all on the
web):

Kessler, BL. 2003. Marine Protected Area (MPA) Process Review: Case Studies
of Five MPA Establishment Processes. Charleston, South Carolina: National
National Marine Protected Areas Center, in cooperation with the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Coastal Services Center. (available
on mpa.gov website)

McGinnity, P, Mike McSherry, Bob Harman, Paul Ortiz, Gary Fletcher, Angus
Matthews, and Kari Koski. 2000 November. MPA Enforcement: Practitioners
Employ Mix of High-Tech and Community-Based Strategies. MPA News:
International News and Analysis on Marine Protected Areas:1-4.
  Available on web at: http://www.racerocks.com/racerock/news/mpa14.pdf

Osborne, RW, Koski, KL, Tallmon, RE. Voluntary Marine Protected Areas and
Adaptive Management in the San Juan Islands; 2001; Washington. (available at
http://mehp.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/pdfs/MPApdfs/Osborne2001.pdf)

About Soundwatch:
http://www.pyr.ec.gc.ca/georgiabasin/stories/mammal_e.htm
http://www.whale-museum.org/programs/soundwatch/bottomfish.html