[Coral-List] Setting up structures of support

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 3 10:45:40 EST 2005

   It  occurred to me that PayPal ([1]http://www.paypal.com) has a rather
   easy  set  up  for receiving donations for charitable institutions via
   the  Internet.   Somebody would have to go to the action of setting up
   the  bank  account  for the charity, but after that, people could just
   click  on  a  DONATE  NOW button on a Web Page (ReefBase would be most
   apropriate,  in my mind) and funds from the donor would go directly to
   the  institution,  depending upon whether the donor had a credit card,
   debit  card,  Paypal account, whatever (several financial vehicles are
   available).   This  certainly  makes it easier for folks to contribute
   than  sitting down, writing a check, finding the postage, etc.  One of
   us  Web  folks  could  make a relatively easy Web page, but the person
   with  the  bank  account info would have to give us the special DONATE
   NOW  code  that  you  generate  from  within PayPal (see Merchandising
   Tools) that you need to make the button.  It's easy to do, really, you
   just  need  the  legal  charitable  institution status, and the PayPal
   account.   You  then  need  someone identified for the distribution of
   funds to whom the needy turn to.
   Just a thought.
       Cheers,
       Jim
   Sherry Hudson wrote:

As I have watched various reports come in from the recent earthquake I have
been impressed to see the response of the human aid networks that are
mobilizing resources in the area and I am lead to wonder if there is a way
that we could create a support network for our colleagues in marine research
and conservation.  This note is being forwarded to the Sea Turtle, Coral and
Marine Mammal research listservs and I wonder if it is possible to set up an
joint effort to support our friends in the areas impacted by this disaster.

  Ideas that have crossed my mind include

  Creating a central fund that we could raise money for that would be
targetted at supporting our colleagues and helping to rebuild the
infrastuctures in this region.  In order to accomplish this I expect that a
small group should be struck to work out some of the details (who should
host, how the money should be administered and disseminated).  I'm not sure
who can or should take leadership in this effort but I am willing to invest
time in whatever way makes sense.

  Setting up a web site that could record needs for volunteers, supplies and
resources so that individuals or organizations could know specifically what
would help the effort.  Is there anyone out there would would be willing to
develop such a site?

  If these structures could be put in place I would be willing to circulate
an email to friends and colleagues of mine recruiting their support to the
effort and to make some phone calls to complete strangers to try and gather
support and resources.  I also offer a challenge to everyone on these
listserves to do the same...or better.

  Sherry Hudson

  ÷ârémÊǧu©Þ(TM)¨¥¶EUR"QË·ª¹ë-,""IAK5