[Coral-List] How long can corals survive without their symbiotic zooxanthellae?

Joshua Feingold joshua at nova.edu
Sat Jan 8 10:31:27 EST 2005

Hi John,

I did some work on this for my dissertation, and survival is variable
depending on the species and type of stress. Also, it is important to
understand that, nearly invariably, bleached corals possess at least some
zooxanthellae. The population size isn't enough to see pigment in the coral
with the naked eye, but they are there in the tissues, but at very low levels.

One species I investigated, the fungiid Diaseris distorta, could remain
alive in the bleached state for over 2 months and then regain pigmentation.
In contrast, another species, Pocillopora damicornis, was much more
sensitive with mortality occurring in nearly all colonies after 2-3 weeks
in the bleached state. Elevated temperature was the stress in both of these
examples.

Cheers,

Joshua Feingold
Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center