[Coral-List] Re: fish bombing and tsunami effects

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Fri Jan 14 12:47:40 EST 2005

Thanks, Helen.

Of course extent of damage is a prime factor, especially when one
considers that these are hardly pristine coastlines-the ideal
environmental conditions I outlined will almost never be met.

Beginning in the late 80's, blast-fishing boats began visiting Sumatra.
Local lore has it that most came from Taiwan and the Philippines, but
there was Indonesian activity also. They bombed using echo-sounder
traces: as long as the traces were flat, well, that's where Budi was
last week. Soon as they saw reticulation, well, that was new reef, so
they began bombing. Took them about 5 years to do most of Sumatra. Then
one gets the mobile-rubble spat-exclusion phenom Helen mentions, which
has been so well documented from Maldives.

Sri Lanka draglined many of their reefs to get coral to make the lime
to build the hotels in which to put the tourists that come to see the
coral.

Tsunami flooding in Maldives was most severe in "reclaimed" areas.

In East Africa, a one-armed fisherman is one with bombing experience.

India has cut most of her mangroves in the past 20 years.

And on and on. We remove the coastal breakwaters at our peril. If
economics drives the exploitation, then alternative means of income
need to be investigated.

Rate of recovery of these reefs will be controlled almost exclusively
by the degree of land-based threats. Any rehabilitation efforts need to
begin with proper coastal plans.

Mike