[Coral-List] Federal Register Notice - Comments on NOAA Coral Ecosystem Research Plan PART I:National Priorities DUE 7/11/05

Coral Researchplan coral.researchplan at noaa.gov
Sat Jun 11 22:08:15 EDT 2005

[Federal Register: June 9, 2005 (Volume 70, Number 110)]
[Notices]
[Page 33735-33736]
>From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr09jn05-29]

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE

NOAA Coral Ecosystem Research Plan Part I: National Priorities Draft

AGENCY: Coral Reef Conservation Program, NOAA, Department of Commerce.

ACTION: Notice and request for public comment.

SUMMARY: The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
publishes this notice to announce the availability of the Draft NOAA
Coral Ecosystem Research Plan Part I: National Priorities for public
comment. The Draft NOAA Coral Ecosystem Research Plan is being
developed by the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program to set
priorities and guide NOAA-supported coral ecosystem research for
fiscal year 2005 to 2010, including research conducted through
extramural partners, grants, and contracts. The Draft NOAA Coral
Ecosystem Research Plan covers all coral reef ecosystems under the
jurisdiction of the United States and the Pacific Freely Associated
States; and is written for a broad audience, including resource
managers, scientists, policy makers, and the public.

DATES: Comments on this draft document must be submitted by July 11,
2005.

ADDRESSES: The Draft NOAA Coral Ecosystem Research Plan Part I:
National Priorities will be available at the following location
http://www.nurp.noaa.gov/Docs/NOAA_CoralResearchPlanPartI_FRN.pdf.

The public is encouraged to submit comments on the Draft NOAA Coral
Ecosystem Research Plan Part I: National Priorities electronically to
coral.researchplan at noaa.gov. For commenters who do not have access to
a computer, comments on the document may be submitted in writing to:
NOAA Research, c/o Kimberly Puglise, NOAA's Undersea Research Program,
1315 East-West Highway R/NURP, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Kimberly Puglise by mail at NOAA's
Undersea Research Program, 1315 East-West Highway R/NURP, Silver
Spring, Maryland 20910 or phone (301) 713-2427 ext. 199 or e-mail at
coral.researchplan at noaa.gov.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: NOAA is publishing this notice to announce
the availability of the Draft NOAA Coral Ecosystem Research Plan Part
I: National Priorities for public comment. The draft plan will be
posted for public comment on June 9, 2005. All interested parties are
encouraged to provide comments. The Draft NOAA Coral Ecosystem
Research Plan Part I: National Priorities is being issued for comment
only and is not intended for interim use. Suggested changes will be
incorporated, where appropriate, in the final version.

The Draft NOAA Coral Ecosystem Research Plan is being developed by the
NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program to set priorities and guide NOAA-
supported coral ecosystem research for fiscal years 2005 to 2010,
including research conducted through extramural partners, grants, and
contracts. The Draft NOAA Coral Ecosystem Research Plan covers all
coral reef ecosystems under the jurisdiction of the United States and
the Pacific Freely Associated States; and is written for a broad
audience, including resource managers, scientists, policy makers, and
the public.

The Draft NOAA Coral Ecosystem Research Plan consists of two sections:
(1) Part I; National Priorities; and (2) Part II: Regional Priorities.
At this time, we are requesting your comments solely on the Part I:
National Priorities Draft. The Part II: Regional Priorities Draft will
be published in the Federal Register for comment at a later date.

Part I of the Plan is national in scope and identifies: the role of
research in management, including a review of the major stressors and
threats facing coral reef ecosystems and an overview of stressor-
associated research priorities; the role of mapping and monitoring in
management-driven research programs; a discussion of the tools and
technologies necessary to conduct research and to manage ecosystems; a
discussion of the importance of transferring science and technology
into operations; and the importance of using strategic outreach and
education to translate research results to improve management
decisions.

Part II of the Plan is regional in scope and reviews the major
stressors for coral ecosystems in each region under the jurisdiction
of the United States and the Pacific Freely Associated States;
identifies key management objectives specific to each region; and the
research priorities for fiscal years 2005 years 2005 to 2010 to help
address the stated management objectives in each region. Part II is
divided into the following regions: Florida with subsections for the
Florida Keys, Southeast Florida, and the West Florida Shelf (also
known as the Eastern Gulf of Mexico); Flower Garden Banks; Puerto
Rico; the U.S. Virgin Islands; Navassa Island; the Hawaiian Islands
with subsections for the Main and Northwestern Hawaiian Islands;
American Samoa; the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands;
Guam; the U.S. Pacific Remote Insular Areas, which includes Midway
Atoll, Rose Atoll, Wake Atoll, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Palymra
Atoll, Jarvis Island, Howland Island, and Baker Island; and the
Pacific Freely Associated States with subsections for the Republic of
the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, and the Federated States
of Micronesia.

NOAA welcomes all comments on the content of the Draft NOAA Coral
Ecosystem Research Plan Part I: National Priorities. We also request
comments on any inconsistencies perceived within the document, and
possible omissions of important topics or issues. For any shortcoming
noted within the draft documents, please propose specific remedies.

Please adhere to the instructions detailed below for preparing and
submitting your comments on the Draft NOAA Coral Ecosystem Research
Plan Part I: National Priorities. Using the format guidance described
below will facilitate the processing of reviewer comments and assure
that all comments are appropriately considered. Please format your
comments into the following three sections: (1) Background information
about yourself (optional); (2) overview or general comments; and (3)
specific comments. Section one may include background information
about yourself including: your name(s), organization(s), area(s) of
expertise, and contact information, such as mailing address, telephone
and fax numbers, and e-mail address(s). Section two should consist of
overview or general comments on the document and should be numbered.
Section three should consist of comments that are specific to
particular pages, paragraphs, or lines in the document and should
identify the page and line numbers to which they apply. Please number
and print identifying information at the top of all pages.

Public comments may be submitted from June 9, 2005, through July 11,
2005.

Dated: June 2, 2005.
David Kennedy,
Manager, Coral Reef Conservation Program.
[FR Doc. 05-11430 Filed 6-8-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-JE-M