[Coral-List] Call For Expert Coral Volunteers for Tsunami Coral Reef Restoration-Apologies for Xpostings.

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Mar 2 18:30:18 EST 2005

We Need Your Help With Thailand's Tsunami Coral Reef Restoration Effort

NOTE: This is not a commercial solicitation it is a call for Expert Coral
Volunteers.

The Reef Ball Foundation (a 501(c) 3 Public Charity) in association with the
government of Thailand's Ministry of Natural Resources, Reef Ball Thailand,
Racha and Racha Sea Masters needs your assistance with the Phuket Coral
Rehabilitation project's post-tsunami work to aid in the environmental and
economic recovery of the disaster affected Phuket region.

Project Poster with images here.

What's up?

The Reef Ball Foundation has been working in Thailand on a Coral restoration
project on Racha Island, just south of Phuket since before the Tsunami.  The
Tsunami made a real mess of the corals in the bay and so we have been
invited by our local team (Racha Resort, Seamaster Divers and Reef Ball
Thailand) and the Prime Minister, Khun Thaksin Shinawatra, and Minister for
the Environment Khun Suwit Khunkitti to expand our coral rescue, reef clean
up, Crown of  Thorns monitoring, reef rehabilitation/restructuring,
livelihood restoration, Post-Tsunami bay management planning, buoy
installation, MPA action plan, coral propagation / coral genetic bank
creation (This genetic bank consists of a Reef Ball for each type of coral
we rescue / propagate with as many "families" of that type planted on the
Reef Balls), scuba/dive trail formation, snorkeling trail formation,  and
coral planting project.  We sent a team of 8 down last week to assess the
situation and get everything set up for a full project the month of April.
By April, 300 Reef Balls will be in place for the team to begin the coral
propagation and restoration processes.  The Racha Resort is a 5 star resort
but is rebuilding it's dive center, and some damaged infrastructure and
therefore is currently not open to the public.  This is a blessing for us as
we can use the fantastic rooms for our own expert volunteer crews and they
will provide the rooms and food free to all volunteers accepted for the
project.  We hope to have a team of up to 60 volunteers during the month of
April.

There are several ways you can assist us in this urgent and important work.

We are going to select people to go on the trip based on an email
application system.  Basically, if you want to go, we need you to send us an
email with 1) What talents you can offer (not necessary if you are already a
Coral Team member since we already know this).  The more your unique talents
are needed for the overall team, the more likely you will be selected, 2)
What dates you can attend (working days are M-F during the entire month of
April...the longer you can stay the more likely we will select you), 3) The
amount of financial support you can provide or will need provided.  (I.E. if
you are not already a coral team member or Field Expert such as coral
scientist/researcher/skilled advocate, we suggest a donation of $2000 to the
project to help cover project expenses and to support your application...but
this might be in any form such as donated FF points for another team member,
etc. (It is NOT required)  If you are a Coral Team Member or Expert then
tell us what you need to come (i.e. for us to cover airfare, expenses or
stipend).  The higher your contribution or the lower the requirements the
better chance you will have of getting selected.  Basically, this project
needs to be self funded so we will need a balance of people donating verse
experts that need some expenses covered.  If you are on the CORAL list, you
are likely someone that we would value more for talent than for financial
support.  Note: The Reef Ball Foundation has already funded over $50K in
molds, coral propagation supplies, team visits, survey work, etc. and the
opportunity to expand this project is based solely on the amount of
financial support we can obtain from multiple sources.

Work will begin on the week of April 3rd and continue through the week of
April 25th.  See the Reef Ball Calendar System to view the latest schedule.
Volunteers that are accepted are expected to post their travel schedules &
Itineraries to this calendar system as well as emergency contact
information.  You will be given a password and user id if accepted to the
project.

Those accepted and joining us in Thailand will be provided:

Ground and sea transportation to project and hotel when we meet them in
Phuket until their departure

Full accommodations and meals for the duration of their stay at the 5 star
Racha Sanctuary Resort on Koa Racha Yai

Tanks & Weights, each volunteer must be dive certified* and provide us with
a copy of their diving cards & passport.

Laundry Service

Weekends off for leisure (Stay at Racha for free or venture to
Phuket/Excursions on your own).

Applicants must be 18 years or older or accompanied by a parent or guardian
and in good health and physical condition to handle the long hours and
difficult work in hot conditions.

You will be asked to sign a waiver of liability.  Contributions to the
project to support your application are tax deductible in the US (Talk with
your tax advisor to verify this) as a donation to a 501(c) 3 Public Charity.

We have a "work hard, play hard" kind of culture.  There will be a private
band for the group most nights, a volunteer room with snacks & drinks
provided.  We expect to have internet access in the volunteer room but since
there is a lot of construction going on country wide don't count on that
being too reliable.  Volunteers will get t-shirts, have the opportunity to
enhance their Coral Team Certificates or to obtain one.

Sorry this seems a bit complicated, but this is an emergency activation and
we need to put together a top team quickly.  Please email...don't call...for
needed details to keep things easier for us.  John Walch (john at reefball.com)
and Marjo Van Der Buick (Marjo at reefball.com) will be leading the team and
Todd Barber will be overall project manager (reefball at reefball.com).
Applications will be decided upon by a Reef Ball Foundation Committee on
March 15th, all decisions final.  We will continue to post detailed project
information on our website under Thailand World Mapping System.  Found at
http://www.reefball.com/map/thailand.htm and you can even see some pictures
of the start of the project from the team visit last week.  This is a
historic opportunity not only to help in the world's largest natural
disaster in our lifetimes, but a great chance to help restore a, once
beautiful, coral reef.

The work environment is absolutely idea for our work.  Water is clear, there
is an abundant supply of imperiled coral fragments (our team has done
assessments and nursery work already), and we have already shipped by
container all the supplies we will need.  We built a very advanced floating
coral table & fragmenting/deployment station.  All you really need to bring
is your own dive gear (underwater digital dive cameras are also encouraged).
Our teams will be well organized in terms of the exact activities we will be
performing each day.

You will find travel, food and accommodations safe as the there has been
substantial infrastructure rebuilding in Thailand.  Our teams did have a
little trouble with email as the internet seemed to go down a lot with all
the construction efforts.  Our hosts were VERY nice and helpful.  They are
building a restaurant just for our team....will have a live band just for us
every night...and of course you will get all the tanks of air you want.  The
earliest applications will be favored so get yours in as soon as possible.

If you can't go.... consider donating money or some frequent flyer miles to
support another expert volunteer coming.  All donations are to a public
charity and should be write offs for tax purposes (check with you tax
advisor).

Do you use  American Airlines? Whenever you book a flight, use the Reef Ball
Business Extra #754011.
 You still get all your frequent flyer points and Reef Ball Foundation gets
credit toward future flights!

For more information on our CORAL TEAM see
http://www.reefball.com/reefballcoalition/index.html

To see a similar project we did last year go to
http://www.reefball.com/map/antiguascience/antiguapressrelease.htm

Cordially,

Todd Barber
Reef Ball Foundation