[Coral-List] Views on Coral Garden Projects

Ken Nedimyer sealife at terranova.net
Mon Mar 7 10:23:13 EST 2005

Hernandez,
Your observations and experience mirror what We've observed here in the Keys
with Acropora cervicornis.  I've been growing cervicornis on my live rock
aquaculture farm in the Upper Keys for several years now and have had all
the successes and failures you mentioned.  We only fragment in the cooler
months now and when we do we have a 90%+/- survival rate over the next year.
Outbreaks of white plague have followed big runoff events associated with
heavy rain in the nearby everglades or over the island chain.  These runoff
events are usually characterized by real green nasty water and usually the
disease dies off soon after the blue oceanic water returns to the area.  We
don't have any damsel fish on our cervicornis farm, and the blocks that
house the corals are out in the middle of a sandy area, so snails and fire
worms aren't a big problem.

In October of 2003 we transplanted six cervicornis colonies to a ship
grounding site at Molasses reef and have had 100% survival.  This is a
heavily dived area and the original colonies have been broken several times
by divers, but in most cases the fragments have survived and the ones we
found were successfully epoxied to the substrate.  There are now sixteen
healthy colonies in the site and none have shown any sign of disease.

This is a small success story, but it was all done out of my own pocket to
demonstrate to the sanctuary managers that it is a viable option for
restoring this once abundant coral to the Florida reef tract.  I certainly
support similar efforts throughout the Caribbean and I think that if planned
out properly, they can result in considerable success.

Regarding predator removal, I agree that in a balanced system where the
natural predator /prey relationships exist (such as a large, well
established MPA) there should be no need to remove predators, but since
there are no areas such as that, predator removal may be an effective short
term tool.  I have been watching the snails literally eating away the last
remaining A. palmata in a no take zone in the Keys, and because it's a no
take zone, I can't remove the snails and give the coral a chance.

Regarding diadema, I could go on and on about this topic, but the quick
bottom line is that I believe that they will play an extremely important
role in the recovery of the Acroporids and other shallow water corals
throughout the Caribbean.  I don't think we're going to get a lasting
recovery of any Caribbean reefs without a recovery of the diadema (or some
other herbivore that can graze the algae).

Ken Nedimyer, Florida Keys