[Coral-List] Re: Coral-List Digest, Vol 23, Issue 13, Bahrain may build horse-shaped island

Bernhard Riegl rieglb at nova.edu
Tue May 17 16:17:43 EDT 2005

Dear Listers,
Regarding exciting, large-scale dredge-and-fill projects in the Arabian Gulf:

Dubai is currently building three Palm-shaped Islands. The easternmost is
situated in what used to be the Jebel Ali Marine Reserve. Home of the
Arabian Gulf's second most biodiverse (documented) marine system, and
smack-bang on a coral reef (actually, more a biostrome, but the differences
are academic for this purpose).
The management of Jebel Ali marine reserve was taken away from the Dubai
Municipality Protected Areas Unit and handed to the entity building the
Palm Island.
EIAs were supposedly conducted, however, the presence of one of the eastern
Gulf's richest coral ecosystems apparently made no difference.
It goes without saying that artificial structures will never be a
substitute for what is being destroyed (although this claim is being widely
circulated by the developers). Even if they theoretically could be, the
enormity of the dredge-and-fill is radically altering the hydrological and
sedimentological regimes, causing widespread mortality in neighboring
ecosystems, and so precluding rapid (or maybe any) recolonization. Even if
corals should settle on the breakwaters at some later stage, the natural
dynamics of the system would be irreplaceably altered.
Besides the death of one of the most important coral ecosystems on the UAE
mainland coast, the academic fall-out is that a 10-year collaborative coral
monitoring program between Dubai Municipality and NCRI has come to an
abrupt end.

If you want to know more about what is presently being buried, you are
invited to read:

Purkis SJ, Riegl B (2005) Spatial and temporal dynamics of Arabian Gulf
coral assemblages quantified from remote-sensing and in situ monitoring
data (Jebel Ali, Dubai, U.A.E.). Marine Ecology Progress Series
287:99-113.  (Colorful maps outlining ecological landscape dynamics of the
now defunct coral ecosystem underneath Palm III; the work was finished in
Jan 2004, when the dredging and filling just began).

Riegl, B. (1999) Coral communities in a non-reef setting in the southern
Arabian Gulf (Dubai, UAE): fauna and community structure in response to
recurrent mass mortality. Coral Reefs 18(1): 63-73. (temporal ecological
dynamics)

Riegl, B. (1998) A new reef marine reserve in the southern Arabian Gulf:
Jebel Ali, Dubai (UAE). Coral Reefs 17(4): 398 (naive optimism about
conservation of Dubai's marine resources)

If you are interested, several other paper by the authors exist about the
same area.

Other exciting dredge-and-fill projects:

A causeway linking Qatar and Bahrain
A causeway linking Qatar and Abu Dhabi
(Both these causeways cut right through the habitat that is home to the
world's second largest Dugong population, numerous reefs, etcetc.)
New Doha International Airport (right on fringing reef south of Doha)
large-scale fill project in Fujairah in immediate vicinity, if not directly
on, coral.
The famous sea-horse
...and the list goes on...

UAE, Qatari and Bahraini environmental agencies are trying hard to regulate
and reduce impacts, however, one cannot help but be amazed by the sheer
size of these projects, how apparently unstoppable they are, and what
massive, unmitigatable impacts they have on the coastal zone.
Sincerely
Bernhard Riegl

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:51:41 +0200
>From: "Paul Erftemeijer" <paul.erftemeijer at wldelft.nl>
>Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Yahoo! News Story - Bahrain May Build Sea
>         Horse-ShapedIsland - Yahoo! News
>To: "Vanese Flood" <vanesef at yahoo.com>
>Cc: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
>
>Dear Vanese,
>
>We carried out some advisory work in Bahrain in 2003. Part of the work
>included site-selection of areas suitable for artificial reefs, the results
>of which were also published recently in a paper, of which I attach the pdf.
>Although not primarily addressing your question, you may find some
>interesting bits of information in the paper, particularly in the
>introduction.
>
>I hope you may find the paper of interest.
>
>With best regards,
>
>Paul Erftemeijer
>
>Dr. Paul L.A. Erftemeijer
>senior advisor marine ecology
>WL | delft hydraulics
>P.O. Box 177
>2600 MH Delft
>The Netherlands
>Tel: (+31) 015-2858924
>Fax: (+31) 015-2858718
>E-mail: paul.erftemeijer at wldelft.nl

Bernhard Riegl, PhD
National Coral Reef Institute (assoc. director)
Oceanographic Center (assoc. professor)
Nova Southeastern University
8000 N. Ocean Drive, Dania
FL 33004