[Coral-List] Indian Ocean 2005 Bleaching Events

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Wed May 18 12:26:44 EDT 2005

Coral-listers,

I have lost who it was that first noted this might be an exceptionally
warm year for the Indian Ocean with potentially some significant
bleaching....well....it appears this was a good forecast!!  Someone
should get a gold star!!

Now that the warm water event, that spanned the months from first 4
months of 2005, appears to have weakened with the sun moving into the
northern hemisphere, we have noted at Coral Reef Watch that
accumulations of stress (Degree Heating Weeks - DHWs) were indeed near
record level during that time.  The following links let you quickly
recall the most recent DHW (Feb-Mar-Apr) for 2005

          http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data2/dhwe.4.30.2005.gif

and compare it with the previous (and still record) 1998 event.

          http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/icg/ehet.s21998.e41998.gif

All the reports we have accumulated certainly verify what the SSTs have
been telling us....thats to those who have submitted this valuable
on-sight information.

Cheers,
Al Strong
Coral Reef Watch

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong
Branch Chief, Marine Ecosystem and Climate Branch (MECB)
Coral Reef Watch Project Coordinator
Phys Scientist/Oceanographer
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/SO -- E/RA3  {formerly NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD}
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 601
  5200 Auth Road
  Camp Springs, MD 20746-4304
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov