[Fwd: Re: [Coral-List] A few photos in series of bleaching recovery and death.]

Esther Peters esther.peters at verizon.net
Mon Nov 14 16:50:18 EST 2005

Dear Melissa,

I finally had a chance to look at your photos.  That is a very
interesting recovery pattern you have documented!  Not sure how it
happens or what it means, but everyone interested in coral bleaching and
disease should note this and perhaps pursue studies of it.  Please let
us know when you post more photos!

Esther Peters, Ph.D.

Melissa Keyes wrote:

 > Dear Listers,
 >
 > Here are some photos for you.  I'm just beginning to be able to do
this, and will be posting more pages.

 > http://mekvinga.tripod.com/series_bleaching_photos/index.album?i=14&s=
 >

 > I am sifting through, and trying to make sense of, thousands of
photos.  In the past three months, I've been diving four or more times a
week in Cane Bay, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands. I usually take from 350
to more than 550 shots of corals on each dive.  My camera is a housed
Olympus C70-70

 >  I chose Cane Bay because of its' accessability.  It is the only easy
beach/shore entry for diving on St. Croix.  The topography, and variety
of formations of coral is nice, including  sandy beach, rocky shore,
spur and groove to about seven meters, then a wide swath of sand, then
more spur and groove corals dropping off steeply to hundreds of meters
depth just offshore.  On either side of Cane Bay, the coral cover is
generally uninterrupted by sand.

 > Unfortunately, this little bay is also loaded with "tourists",
beginning divers, and folks only interested in a seafood dinner.  I
would really rather have concentrated on the Salt River Park area, but
that is only safely acesses by boat.