[Coral-List] Present Bleaching Event - PR & USVI etc.

Frank Muller-Karger carib at marine.usf.edu
Sat Oct 1 12:09:50 EDT 2005

Roger - thank you for your prompt reply (glad to see you are back in
action). Perhaps this email train adds volume to the coral-list, but I
am copying Rick DeVoe (chair of SECOORA) and Julio Morell and Roy
Watlington (co-chairs of CaRA) to see if we can understand a bit better
why there is the perception that the US Fed agencies have not been
invited to participate in the development of the IOOS RA's. I would hope
that this is not the case since there is a clear role for the agencies
in this process. I see this as an opportunity to develop a stronger
four-legged chair, where the legs are: private (commerce/NGO), academic,
education, government (local, national, international).

With respect to partnerships, this is an opportunity to build up
capacity in the regions using existing programs (state,
researc/academic, NGO, commerce) to satisfy needs that feed into the
government management process. NOAA and other operational agencies can
and should use the exramural science community more - this is a
responsive community. This is admittedly a bit vague, but we can start
talking about specifics. One example that spans the whole region is
remote sensing.

We can perhaps use the RA's as a focal point for partnerships, and help
them (is the word "incentivate" good here?) to coordinate us.

Frank