[Coral-List] Re: Ocurrence of coral bleaching

"Rosa E. Rodríguez-Martínez" rosaer at mar.icmyl.unam.mx
Fri Oct 7 10:59:46 EDT 2005

Hello everyone,

We observed a strong bleaching event in several reefs located along the
Mexican Caribbean (Xcalak, Mahahual, Uvero, Akumal, Puerto Morelos) during
surveys in August-October 2005.  Almost all scleractinian species have
affected colonies with different degrees of bleaching (pale, bleached
spots, bleached edge, white). About 40% of over 30,000 colonies that have
been sampled presented bleaching signs. Bleached colonies were registered
down to 20m (the limit of our survey, but you could see bleached colonies
even deeper) where water temperature was 30° (mid-august).  Other groups
with bleached organisms include gorgonians and zoanthids.

This bleaching event seems of the same magnitude as the one registered in
1995 in the area.

Best regards

Rosa Rodríguez

MC Rosa Elisa Rodríguez Martínez
Lab. Sistemas Arrecifales
Instituto de Ciencias del Mar y Limnología
UNAM

Ap. Postal 1152
77500 Cancún, Q. Roo
México