[Coral-List] Coral Bleaching, USVI

Alan E. Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 21 09:41:00 EDT 2005

UNPRECEDENTED...
Watch for our NOAA Press Release next week on this evolving Caribbean
event that is presently peaking in your region.

Regards,
Al Strong
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program

dbryan at nova.edu wrote:

>Our lab just returned from a research trip to St. Croix, USVI (Oct. 7th- 17th).
>The reefs surrounding Buck Island were experiencing a dramatic bleaching event.
>Although we were primarily doing fish surveys I would estimate that 70% of the
>hard corals were either partially or fully bleached. Almost all of the
>Montastraea colonies were completely bleached except for M. cavernosa, in which
>we only noticed some partial bleaching. A majority of the Acropora palmata
>colonies were either bleached or partially bleached.  Species from the genera
>Diploria, Porites, Siderastrea, and Millepora were also affected. We also
>noticed several bleached mats of Palythoa spp.. Most of the corals still
>appeared to be alive but there were a couple with signs of new algae growth.
>
>The hard corals on the reefs off Cane Bay were also experiencing significant
>bleaching. Past 10m, at least 75% of the corals were bleached. This also
>included the deeper plated Agaricia colonies. In depths less than 10m roughly
>50% of the hard corals were bleached.
>
>We also came across several soft corals that appeared to be bleached. I have
>not seen this before and was wondering if it was common. (I have some photos)
>
>If anyone is interested in more information or pictures please feel free to
>contact me.
>
>David
>
>David R. Bryan
>Graduate Research Assistant
>Ichthyology Lab
>Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center
>8000 North Ocean Dr.
>Dania Beach, FL. 33004
>dbryan at nova.edu
>(954) 262-3619

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong
Branch Chief, Marine Ecosystem and Climate Branch (MECB)
Coral Reef Watch Program Coordinator
Phys Scientist/Oceanographer
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/SOCD -- E/RA3  {formerly NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD}
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 601
  5200 Auth Road
  Camp Springs, MD 20746-4304
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov