[Coral-List] Present Bleaching Event - PR & USVI etc.

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 21 16:35:56 EDT 2005

*NOTICE - Bleaching continues to evolve throughout Eastern Caribbean*

 Beginning in the central Keys during August (Sombrero Key especially)
the warm water episode and accompanying bleaching for this year is
progressing south and eastward through Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Virgin
Islands.  This can visually be seen in our recent 12-week composite of
HotSpot accumulations - Degree Heating Weeks (DHWs):

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data2/dhwa.9.19.2005.gif

and HotSpots:

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data/hotspotwnc.gif

Extremely high DHWs above "8" in much of the Virgin Islands are quite
worrisome as these levels in past bleaching events typically bring some
mortality to corals.  This evolving episode continues to be at near
unprecedented levels of thermal stress for this region since our
satellite records began in the mid-80s. From the chart one can observe
that eastern Puerto Rico is under higher levels of thermal stress at
present than western PR....hence the recent reports of considerable
bleaching.  Until some reduced solar radiation and/or wind & mixing
comes to the "rescue" we worry about prospects along much of the
Windward Islands toward South America over the next month or so.

Sorry our repot couldn't be more positive.

Regards,

Al Strong
NOAA's Coral Reef Watch
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/index.html