[Coral-List] Reef Regeneration

Tom Williams ctwiliams at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 16:42:14 EDT 2005

Check for efforts in the UAE with regard to Nakheel
and their "regenerative experiements", remember to
protect what you have rather than rebuilding the mess.

Decide on whether you want fish and motiles rather
than corals and attached

In general in Dubai, if you can harden the bottom and
keep away from sediments, discharges, and keep below
10m you have a good chance for corals.  Water
visibility to more than -10mACD.

Watch out for the upcurrents sources of silts and
nutrients.

Tom Williams
--- Amy Ridgeway <amy at coralcay.org> wrote:

I am currently looking into the different methods
 currently being employed to manipulate coral
recruitment via the enhancement of coral settlement or
 the enhancement of herbivorous fish stocks and
attempts being made to reverse phase shift around the
world.

I have already been made aware of several systems of
artificial reef (ReefBall, EcoReefs, Biorock) and also
a couple of other projects around the world looking to
address the issue of regeneration in different ways
e.g. through increases in larval seeding or
environmental clean-ups. I would be most grateful if
anyone were able to assist me in my research by either
informing me of other specific case studies or systems
that they were aware of, or even better actively
involved with.