[Coral-List] Reef Regeneration

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Sep 29 15:58:20 EDT 2005

Hi Amy,

One important consideration is scale. The average true coral reef is on the
order of 1 sq km, or 1 million sq m. A million dollars can support
developing and implementing an effective, participatory management plan for
many such natural reefs, potentially leading to vastly improved coral
settlement (via reduction of algae, etc.). Applying that same amount of
money to support replanting corals or building artificial reefs, I would be
surprised if you could cover an area reasonably well equal to 1/10th of an
average natural reef. And, you will still need the effective management plan
to ensure proper protection of what has been done from algal overgrowth and
other abuse.

I would deal with planting corals only after an effective management plan
has been in place for a few years, and it becomes clear that no corals are
settling on their own accord.

Cheers!

John

____________________________________
 *** Please note new phone numbers (361 now 421) ***

John W. McManus, PhD.
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Director, National Center for Caribbean Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL, 33149
305-421-4814, 305-421-4820,       Fax: 305-421-4910
www.ncoremiami.org
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu

"If I cannot build it, I do not understand it." -- Richard P. Feynman, Nobel
Laureate