[Coral-List] Reef Regeneration

Tom Williams ctwiliams at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 14:46:46 EDT 2005

Agreed
The development of the Palm Jumeirah in Dubai - <12m
ACD involved direct burial and dredging of more than
1,000,000sqm not counting plume effects.  An estimate
for relocating >20L heads + improving moving sands
(<10% i.e., =0.1%, 1000sqm) was more than US$500K with
volunteer labor (10 divers) plus the probability of
plume burials.

I believe the usual compensation for oaks would in
fact be 10:1 10% probability therefore for
relocation/reintorduction the compensation basis would
be 10M sq m to replace 1M sqm......CAN NOT BE DONE,
but until we start getting a practical pricing
US$10K/sqm of reef to avoid ability of the developers
to say "Look we are compensating...therefore
everything is OK."

Dr. Tom Williams
--- John McManus <jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu> wrote:

> Hi Amy,

One important consideration is scale. The average true
coral reef is on the order of 1 sq km, or 1 million sq
m. A million dollars can support developing and
implementing an effective, participatory management
plan for many such natural reefs, potentially leading
to vastly improved coral
 settlement (via reduction of algae, etc.). Applying
 that same amount of money to support replanting
corals or building artificial reefs, I would be
surprised if you could cover an area reasonably well
equal to 1/10th of an average natural reef. And, you
will still need the effective management plan to
ensure proper protection of what has been done from
algal overgrowth and other abuse.

I would deal with planting corals only after an
effective management plan has been in place for a few
years, and it becomes clear that no corals are
 settling on their own accord.
Cheers!   John
 *** Please note new phone numbers (361 now 421) ***