[Coral-List] Job at Univ. Virgin Islands

Sandra L. Romano sromano at uvi.edu
Wed Apr 5 22:34:54 EDT 2006

We call your attention to a job announcement appearing in the Chronicle of
Higher Education this week. A position for an Assistant or Associate
Professor of Biology is available starting in August at the University of
the Virgin  Islands. Candidates with an interest in marine studies are
especially encouraged to apply. While preference will be given to candidates
with experience teaching cell or molecular biology and/or biochemistry, we
are also interested in candidates with experience teaching microbiology as
well as human anatomy and physiology. UVI is part of the NSF-funded
VI-EPSCoR program (http://epscor.uvi.edu) which has a research focus of
Biocomplexity in Caribbean Coral Reefs including studies of the ecology,
biodiversity, and oceanography of coral reefs and adjacent coastal habitats.
VI-EPSCoR has funding available to support research in these areas.

> Faculty Vacancy for Fall 2006
> Science and Mathematics Division
> St. Thomas Campus
> The University of the Virgin Islands is a Historically  Black publicly
> supported land-grant institution. UVI is seeking faculty who will ensure that
> students meet high academic standards in a nurturing and learner-centered
> environment in keeping with our HBCU status and with interests, experience and
> expertise in curriculum innovation, interdisciplinary studies and distance
> education, as well as teaching and scholarly excellence in their specialties.
> In addition, academic programs support our land grant  designation by
> integrating instruction with research and community service.  Appointees must
> be able to work productively with students and colleagues  of diverse ethnic
> and cultural backgrounds.
>
> The Science and Mathematics Division is seeking candidates who will teach  a
> minimum of 24 credit hours per academic year at the undergraduate level  in
> the following position:
>
> Assistant or Associate Professor of Biology: Applicants should possess a Ph.D.
> in biology and experience in teaching undergraduate biology courses.
> Preference will be given to candidates with experience teaching cell or
> molecular biology and/or bio-chemistry. Candidates should have a strong
> commitment to undergraduate research, project based learning, and general
> science education.
>
> Employment will begin on August 15, 2006.
>
> Rank and compensation will be based on academic preparation, teaching and
> practical experience. Benefits include a generous TIAA/CREFF or Virgin Islands
> Government Retirement Plan, as well as a comprehensive group medical and
> dental insurance plan.
>
> If applicable, economy airfare to St. Thomas for the appointee and immediate
> family, and shipping allowance of up to $1,250 will be paid by the University
> upon presentation of receipts.
>
> Send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, transcripts from accredited
> institutions, and names and address with telephone numbers and email addresses
> of three references to: Dr. Hassan I. Musah, Provost, University of the Virgin
> Islands, RR1 Box 10000, Kingshill, St. Croix, V.I. 00850-9781 or email
> provost at uvi.edu with a copy to aparr at uvi.edu. Applications will be accepted
> until April 28, 2006 or until the position is filled.

Sandra L. Romano, PhD
Assistant Professor of Marine Biology
Division of Science and Mathematics
University of the Virgin Islands