[Coral-List] Chemistry position at Univ. Virgin Isl.

Sandra L. Romano sromano at uvi.edu
Thu Apr 6 21:23:27 EDT 2006

We call your attention to a job announcement appearing in the Chronicle of
Higher Education this week. A position for an Assistant or Associate
Professor of Chemistry is available starting in August at the University of
the Virgin  Islands. Candidates with an interest in marine related
chemistry are especially encouraged to apply. UVI is part of the NSF-funded
VI-EPSCoR program (http://epscor.uvi.edu) which has a research focus of
Biocomplexity in Caribbean Coral Reefs including studies of the ecology,
biodiversity, and oceanography of coral reefs and adjacent coastal habitats.
VI-EPSCoR has funding available to support research in these areas.

Faculty Vacancy for Fall 2006
 Science and Mathematics Division
 St. Thomas Campus
The University of the Virgin Islands is a Historically  Black publicly
supported land-grant institution. UVI is seeking faculty who will ensure
that students meet high academic standards in a nurturing and
learner-centered environment in keeping with our HBCU status and with
interests, experience and expertise in curriculum innovation,
interdisciplinary studies and distance education, as well as teaching and
scholarly excellence in their specialties. In addition, academic programs
support our land grant  designation by integrating instruction with research
and community service.  Appointees must be able to work productively with
students and colleagues  of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.

 The Science and Mathematics Division is seeking candidates who will teach
a minimum of 24 credit hours per academic year at the undergraduate level
in the following position:

Assistant or Associate Professor of Chemistry: Applicants should possess a
Doctorate degree in Chemistry and experience in teaching  undergraduate
chemistry. Preference will be given to candidates with a degree in organic
chemistry. Candidates with an interest in marine related chemistry are
especially encouraged to apply. The primary teaching responsibility of the
successful candidate will be organic chemistry but there will be
opportunities to teach other courses. The development and maintenance of an
active, extramurally-funded research program in his or her area of specialty
will be required.

 Employment will begin on August 15, 2006.

 Rank and compensation will be based on academic preparation, teaching and
practical experience. Benefits include a generous TIAA/CREFF or Virgin
Islands Government Retirement Plan, as well as a comprehensive group medical
and dental insurance plan.

 If applicable, economy airfare to St.  Thomas for the appointee and
immediate  family, and shipping allowance of up to $1,250 will be paid by
the University  upon presentation of receipts.

 Send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, transcripts from accredited
institutions, and names and address with telephone numbers and email
addresses  of three references to: Dr. Hassan I. Musah, Provost, University
of the Virgin Islands, RR1 Box 10000, Kingshill, St. Croix, V.I. 00850-9781
or email provost at uvi.edu with a copy to aparr at uvi.edu. Applications will be
accepted until April 28, 2006 or until the position is filled.

Sandra L. Romano, PhD
Assistant Professor of Marine Biology
Division of Science and Mathematics
University of the Virgin Islands