[Coral-List] bleaching haven clarification

Paul Muir paul.muir at qm.qld.gov.au
Wed Apr 12 19:37:57 EDT 2006

Sorry,  probably didn't make this clear in my original message: the idea of
a floating cover would be to reduce solar irradiation on corals during a
warm water event, not cool the water. My limited understanding of warm water
bleaching is that reducing solar irradiation might improve coral survival.

Covering might actually increase water temperatures slightly by reducing
evaporative cooling and back-radiation. Also, I have no plans to trial this
- I was just curious.

Dr. Paul Muir
Museum of Tropical Queensland,
78-104 Flinders St,