[Coral-List] Building a reef at Pulau Hantu, Singapore? - Updates

Blue Water Volunteers bluewatervolunteers at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 03:03:07 EDT 2006

Dear listers,

Thanks to all who replied on the plan to create a
clear-water domain and build a reef in the lagoon of
Pulau Hantu, Singapore. The originators of the plan
have since realigned their position, stated that they
are not out to build anything as yet, and will not be
carrying out any destructive activities such as
removing the existing marine life colonising the
lagoon in order to build a new reef.

Island of Ghosts (it's quite an interesting and
bloodthirsty story), and if today's reefs are just a
pale shadow of what they were in the 50's and 60's, I
imagine they must have been heartstoppingly,
gobsmackingly, AMAZING. If anyone out there has
archival photos or footage, we'll like to hear from
you!! Then again, maybe I'm easily impressed. It's
interesting to note that corals and their communities
here can survive and reproduce in waters with enough
sediment to kill most test subjects in journal
articles.

Well, if any of you happen to drop by Singapore and
wish to see what coral reefs in the world's busiest
shipping port look like, feel free to drop us a note.

Cheers,
Tse-Lynn
Blue Water Volunteers

Cheers,