[Coral-List] planned field station in Bonaire

Mark Vermeij Mark.Vermeij at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 14 01:46:06 EDT 2006

Dear all

Plans are currently underway to start a fieldstation for marine
biological research on Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles. A location
directly bordering the water has been acquired and designs for the
station are currently put together. The station will be built from
scratch and is planned to be fully operational in two years. The
station will be capable of housing up to 28 people, making it suitable
for classes/ courses as well, and provide modern facilities for diving,
labwork and experiments on the nearby (deep)reefs, mangrove systems and
seagrass beds (or even land ecosystems and geological work).
To strengthen our capability to obtain additional funding for this
undertaking and enhance local as well as international support for this
facility, I would be interested in finding out who would be interested
in using these facilities (how many people and for what period of
time), what ideas exist regarding its desired inventory (e.g. lab- and
dive-wise) and any other suggestion that could help to make this
project a success.
I expect construction to start sometime this year, so the time to make
suggestions is not that long anymore. I would like to ask interested
parties to contact me personally with any further questions,
suggestions and expressions of interest to use the Bonaire station.
Please contact me at vermeij at hawaii.edu or (808) 2504133.

With best regards

Mark

----