[Coral-List] "Global Dimming" and Coral

Christopher Paul Jury jurychri at msu.edu
Wed Apr 19 13:41:05 EDT 2006

Good question. From what I know (I make no claims to be an expert on this
topic ;-) the reduction in solar radiation has been ~10% or so. This is
plenty to affect climate, and certainly has an effect on any sort of
photosynthetic organism, but a reduction in intensity of that amount is
something most any photosynthetic organism can adapt to easily. That is
unless they are already near their compensation point. So for most
shallow-water corals it probably has not been particularly detrimental, but
for those on deep forereefs or otherwise in dim light it may have a more
pronounced effect. The cooling effect that this has had has probably been a
bigger positive (preventing bleaching and disease) than any negatives for
reefs though. Also, double check the figure above as I'm not certain on it
and am just going off memory.

Best,

Chris