[Coral-List] Euchema denticulatum bloom in Kiribati

Caroline Vieux carolinevieux at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 24 22:52:32 EDT 2006

My name is Caroline Vieux and I'm coordinating the "Polynesia Mana"
node, part of the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network. This node
includes 7 countries of the South Pacific which are: the Cook Islands,
Niue, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Tokelau, Tonga and Wallis and Futuna.
I just got an email from the coral reef monitoring coordinator in
Kiribati. One of the outer island of the Gilbert group is facing an
Euchema denticulatum algae bloom. They imported this specie for seaweed
farming and it is spreading out. They would like to know the reasons for
this bloom and what they should do.
Could anyone could provide some useful information and advices? it is
greatly needed.

Thanks

Caroline Vieux
CRIOBE Research Center