[Coral-List] Eucheuma denticulatum bloom in Kiribati

Iik Suselo iiksuselo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 20:36:41 EDT 2006

Hi Caroline,

Eucheuma has two phases bearing spore in its life cycle, e.g.
tetrasporophyte and carposporophyte. The spores will be released and attach
on hard suefaced substrate such as corals, pebbles, shells, etc.
Subsequently, if the spores found a suitable media, they would grow fast.
Can be abundance even within one month. However, Euceuma has a not strong
holdfast (like root), it can be liberated from where it attach by la ittle
bit strong current. Usualy it is happened after they release the
spores.Thenthe spores will be dormant until the water condition become
calm enough for
their life. That is why Eucheuma usually abundance only between April to
August (in Java sea). How about the annual cycle condition of Kiribati
water, it may answer your question.

Anyway, for some herbivorous, like Siganus, seaweed is source of their
food. Moreover, one of the bigest obstacle in the seaweed culture is
Siganus (especially sub adult) predation, they can finish the plant
completely.

Only for your information, the spore setting technique sometimes is used as
hatchery of seeds on seaweed culture, particularly genus Gracilaria (not
Eucheruma) as it can produce plenty of seaweed seeds.

Best regards,
Iik Endang Susilo
Department of Marine Sciences
Diponegoro University